Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Responsibility is my Response to God's Ability

The last few days I've been grappling with this first post.  This is the beginning of a dream for me, one God has put in my heart.  I want to be a writer.  A real one.  Like one with an actual book with pages I can feel.  I want to teach people what God has taught me and use these words that I’ve been given to bring hope, encouragement and wisdom.

The morning I decided to write I sat on the couch, opened my books and God gave me a word.  Encouragement that I didn't even know I would need.  I read this from Joyce Meyer and have not been able to get it out of my head:

Responsibility is our response to God's ability.  Our response to the opportunities that God has placed in front of us.


That's deep.  She went on to talk about personal responsibility, it can't be delegated.   God won’t do my part and I can’t do His part.  He has the ability to give me this dream and many others, but…. he isn’t going to write for me.  He isn’t going to discipline and teach my kids for me.  He isn't going to save money for me.  He isn't going to build my marriage for me.   I have to respond, I play a role in all of these dreams. 
Many people have big dreams but when they realize the work it takes to reach them, as impossible as it may seem, they lose hope and sometimes don't even try. 

I read this in the morning and that night I hit a mental block..  A writer with no words to write.  Blah... this is so hard.  I just can't get the words to flow. The last time I had taught a Bible lesson was back in college. What if this isn’t the right topic.   It was frustrating and I was full of doubt.  Four total hours later, three posts, lots of words, reading, listening, breaks and still nothing felt right.  I knew this would be hard but I didn't realize it would be hard the first day.  BUT fulfilling a dream isn't meant to be easy, it takes work, time and it takes responsibility.   

Maybe it is on the forefront of my head because we've been talking about Passover, but I think about Moses.  There was nothing easy about what God was calling him to do.  God called him to free the Israelites from slavery in Egypt.  God was going to do his part and Moses had to do his.  Moses had to leave Midian [his comfort zone, his life, and everything he built] and go back to Egypt [Exodus 4:19].  He had to face Pharaoh and demand Pharaoh to let his people go.  Moses and Aaron had to strike the staff to turn it into a snake, strike the staff to turn the water in the Nile river to blood.  Moses had to be obedient to God. 

They did their part and only God could perform the miracles of the plagues.  Only God could bring the frogs, boils, locusts, hail, the gnats, darkness, death [Exodus 7-11].  Only God could give the Isrealites a way out when they were stuck between the ocean and the entire Egyptian Army.  Only GOD could part the Red Sea.  [Exodus 14:21-29]  Imagine how different this story would have turned out if Moses allowed thoughts of doubt about God's ability rule his action.   Doubts that said this is impossible.  Things will never change no matter what I do.  God can't possibly help this situation.  It wouldn't have been the same if Moses didn't respond, if he didn't take responsibility.  

We all have big dreams.  Some may be simple, like a happy marriage and good kids.  But even these dreams take your response.  God has the ability to make it happen, but we have to respond.   We have to make choices every day that lead us closer to the dream becoming a reality.  I may not be able to control the current circumstance or people involved, BUT I can control my actions.  I can take responsibility. 

 Dream big because God has the ability and you can respond.  


What is your dream?
What are things only God can do that you can't?
What is your response to his ability, what can you have do?

I want to thank you for taking the time to stop by and read.  Feel free to leave a comment and share your dreams.  I would love to hear from you. 

Enter your email address to subscribe to new posts:


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment