Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Pain of Discipline

I've been feeling pretty lazy and pretty cranky.  I know my physical cure for laziness is: sleep and a good workout.  Sleep is slowly coming but I've been proactive and made it a priority to be back on my regular workout routine.

Last weekend  Randy gave me the run down for our workout.  Three sets of sprints, jump on that tire this many times, lunges here....  I get my feet moving and the sprint is looking more like a gentle jog, second time around my lungs are on fire, I can feel my calf muscles burning.  By the third round I am thinking, my gosh body, it's only been two weeks!  

I commit to working out consistently and it only takes two weeks for my body to forget all the loving I have given it for the year!  I have become a slow and steady decline.  While I was dying on the AstroTurf squatting away with the weight in my hand I was thinking about what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 9:24

Do you not know that in a race all runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.  Everyone who competes in the game goes into strict training.  They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.  Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.   
My death on the AstroTurf is a great metaphor for life.  In working out and in life, I can choose the pain of discipline today or pain of regret tomorrow. 

Strict Training
Life takes discipline and consistency everyday, every week, every year.  Training is not perfect but it's consistent.  In my relationship with God, in my marriage, as a mom.  I have to show up every day ready to go even when I don't feel like it.  I have to show up even when things are hard.  

I was out there huffing and puffing reflecting on my marriage.  Marriage takes discipline.  To be actively participating every single day.  It has taken us almost 7 years to build... but it would only take a few weeks of apathy to tear it apart.  A few fights gone unresolved.  A little hidden unforgiveness and bitterness to lead one of us thinking there may be something else better.  

I want to train in such a way that I get that prize.  Not just a marriage that lasts a long time but I want to be in love forty years from now.  Fifty years from now.  Holding hands, going on dates, being old and silly.  A love like that, requires strict training, discipline and consistency. 



Run with Purpose
As Paul mentions, don't run like someone running aimlessly.  Have a purpose!  Know why you are on that track of life running.  By the end of the workout, I was tired and hurting a bit, thinking why am I out here?  I don't have to do all this.  I can technically eat what I want and still be skinny.  This is too much work.  But then my senses came back and answered, because it's good for you.  You love the way it feels.  You don't do it to be skinny.  

A shallow purpose produces shallow results.  Imagine if your purpose for friends is so you have someone when you need... though that is part of being friends, it shouldn't be the driving force.  I know we can all think of someone in life who only showed up when they need you.  There was never a deep bond established because the purpose of your friendship was shallow to begin with.


Have a purpose.  A purpose in marriage.  A purpose as a parent.  A purpose in the work you do outside your home.  When life gets messy, hard, and seemingly hopeless; purpose will keep you above the water.  Purpose gives you hope.  Hope for a better future.  

My last few workouts have hurt but it was a good reminder.  A reminder that I am running on the track of life.  Life takes consistency, discipline, and purpose to finish strong.  

Time to Reflect
What race are you running, what prize do you see?  

What are you training for?  What are some things you have to do every day, every week, every year to get that prize. 

Why are you running?


Enter your email address to subscribe to new posts:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Patty!! I love that your purpose for working out isn't to be skinny but to be healthy! And I never thought about comparing that to working on marriage. Thank you friend!!

    ReplyDelete