Pages

Monday, March 7, 2016

What the Heck is Wisdom?

This morning I intended to tell you that I am going to be writing some book reviews in the near future.  Because I've gained knowledge from books, this post some how ended up being about wisdom.  So we will start here in this two part post.  Starting with wisdom because what the heck is wisdom anyways? 

Wisdom is the quality of having experience, knowledge, good judgement.  It's taking knowledge gained and deciding the best course of action. Wisdom is sometimes tied with older people because older people have more life experience, but wisdom doesn't come with age.  Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional. 

Wisdom is something to seek after.  Wisdom comes from knowing God.  He really knows the best way to manage money, have a marriage, raise kids, live out your purpose, and the list goes on.  I can tell you that trying to do things my way... my way based on what I know or HOW I FEEL has not always produced the best outcome.  Especially those decisions based on feeling.... yikes.  BUT I can honestly say, when I do things God's way as backwards as they sometimes sound [like pray for your enemy], it's never turned out wrong.  Anyone can know God's way, you just have to seek. 
 In Proverbs 4:4-9 the author personifies wisdom and shows us the value of seeking wisdom [emphasis added]: 

Then he taught me, and he said to me, "Take hold of my words with all your heart; keep my commands and you will live.  Get wisdom, get understanding; do not forget my words or turn away from them.  Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you.  The beginning of wisdom is this:  Get wisdom.  Though it cost all you have, get understanding.  Cherish and she will exalt you; embrace her and she will honor you. 

Seeking wisdom and not just leaning on my own understanding has protected me. Protected me from becoming a financial ruin.  Kept me from mistreating that wonderful man I married.  Just read the book of Proverbs in the Bible and see for yourself.  I can tell you Proverbs 21:9 always comes to my mind when I'm having a hissy fit.  

Living life with wisdom gained from God is something money can't buy.  I can really relate to Proverbs 3:13-18.  I've seen this blessing in my mother in law's life and a little in mine as well.  She has wisdom and I tell her all the time, I want that!  I want that understanding, to make decisions in life that will lead to peace.  I want others to be able to come to me [the way I go to her] and be blessed by the knowledge I've learned from God.  

"Blessed are those who find wisdom, those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold.... her ways are pleasant ways, and her paths are peace.  She is a tree of life to those who take hold of her; those who hold her fast will be blessed."   

We all get our "know how" for life somewhere.  From our experiences, parents, from friends, from our spouse.  We live life based on the wisdom we've gained.  We choose everyday to live on our own understanding or on God's.  You can directly ask God to show you how to live life, to give you wisdom.  BUT because we are in a partnership he is going to ask you to do your part which is SEEK it.  

Seek wisdom in God's word, books based on Biblical principles, seek wisdom in mentors.  That woman below has given me what money cannot buy.  She inspired my love for the Bible and for reading.  The older I get the more amazed I am at how applicable the Bible is to every single part of life.  With ALL that said, last year I came back to books.  Books about God's word that have helped me to learn how to live life.  There is seriously a book out there for everything!  

To be continued.....

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments:

Post a Comment